Memorial Day 2017
Memorial Day 2017 is one of the major days to celebrate in the coming year by the Americans. The history behind Memorial Day 2017 goes back to the time when it all started. In actual terms Memorial Day 2017 was known as the Decoration Day. The main motive behind is to honor the soldiers Union and Confederate armies. In fact it is known as the Memorial Day 2017 because there were soldiers from Union and Confederate armies of American forces who died during the American civil war.
Memorial Day 2017 is a public or federal holiday wherein people have an off to pay homage to the soldiers who martyred to save their nation and its people. The main celebrations for Memorial Day 2017 in actual started an year after the war came to the end. It was in the late 19th century that the day came to be known as Memorial Day. Besides this it was expanded to constitute the deceased veterans of all the wars that were fought by American forces. Moreover Memorial Day 2017 is a federal holiday which was decided back in 1971 to make the day a federal holiday for the folks of America.
At the first place celebration of Memorial Day 2017 or Decoration Day was done on 30 May 1868. After the decision of giving a federal holiday on Memorial Day, it was decided that the day will commemorate on every last Monday of May. Within same regard the coming year’s Memorial Day 2017 will be celebrated on 29th of May 2017.
Apart from this Memorial Day 2017 is sorted after as a memorial weekend rather than just a day. Most of the companies choose to remain close on the day and likewise people often take a three day off. It is basically an unofficial beginning of summer vacation that goes on till first September which is Labor Day.
There are innumerable traditions or we can say celebrations that take place or will take place on Memorial Day 2017. Here are few of them that you should know if you are in America on the eve of Memorial Day 2017.
- The flag is rose high on the top of flagpoles and thereafter slowly lowered to half past also and returned to full height in afternoon. Half mast is the time when actual homage is paid to the soldiers who martyred. Rising again the flag on Memorial Day 2017 means that spirit is on to a better living and independent America.
- Another vital tradition on Memorial Day 2017 to be followed is visiting the cemeteries and more usually the soldier’s cemeteries.
- Concerts will also be held on the Memorial Day 2017. At the S. Capitol Building’s West Lawn, a Memorial Day concert is held annually. The attendance is usually free but most of the folks prefer to be at comfort of their place. The event is even telecasted on television for the people so that they can enjoy at their place.
- Parades are another thing that will also be held on Memorial Day 2017. There are thousands of parades that take place in the country. Most of the ones who take part in these parades include marching bands, National Guardsmen, other Armed Forces members, and military vehicles from past U.S. wars.
- Besides this folks wear red poppies on the Memorial Day 2017 to symbolize fallen soldiers and mark the day. This tradition actually started out of the famous poem ‘Flander’s Fields’ by Canadian John Mc Crae.
Apart from the basic traditions there also are some of the events that are to be held on Memorial Day 2017. Here below are to name the few.
- At Arlington National Cemetery a quarter-million miniature flags decorate the graves. Also there is changing of the guard ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknowns.
- To celebrate Memorial Day 2017 you can also visit Washington D.C.’s National Mall. Here you can find the Lincoln Memorial, the Franklin Delano Roosevelt Memorial, the National World War II Memorial, the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, the Korean War Veterans Memorial, the National Museum of American History, and various other vital places which have significance in history.
- Gettysburg, Pennsylvania is the oldest parade that takes place and tens of thousands attend it. Nearby from it only is the Gettysburg Soldiers National Monument and Cemetery where you can tour the battlefield.
- Besides it for the Memorial Day 2017 you can also view National Memorial Day Parade on Constitution Avenue. It’s a major attraction in itself as there are whole military units that march by as well as floats and bands, and makes it an overall amazing experience for you on Memorial Day 2017.
- In case you are a sport freak then also there will be arrangement for you at the Memorial Day 2017. It’s the Indianapolis 500 auto race that has been held on the Sunday just before Memorial Day since 1911. The NASCAR Coca-Cola 600 and the Memorial Tournament golfing event are also held at this time of year. It s a delight for sports lovers which also signifies how hard the soldiers fought and made their name in the nation’s history forever.
Also Check – When is Memorial Day 2017
So these were various traditions and events that always take place and will take place this time also on the Memorial Day 2017. A lot of patriotic significance is associated with the day. It is solemnized in different ways in the country on the last May of year. As the functions or celebrations take place both publically and in private at various locations across the nation.
In case you are planning to go to a weekend trip then also Memorial Day 2017 can help you to a great extent. As you will get a minimum of three days off on the event so plan accordingly. In fact there could be nothing better than getting together with your loved ones on the day and enjoy celebrations across the country on same day.